At Full Circle we believe that automated feeders are the future of the dairy industry. We have transitioned our replacement heifer program from individual hutches outside to group housing off of four automated feeders. Our internship program gives students hands-on experience with automated feeders, as well as with our animals. Our department encompasses newborn, weaned, breeding age, and pregnant heifers allowing the opportunity for an individualized internship experience based on your interests!
Main Purpose: To learn and apply skills and knowledge in raising replacement calves and heifers
- Acquire practical on-farm knowledge related to the care and diagnosis of replacement calves and heifers
- Understand variables/constraints that affect decision-making behind treatment, care, and everyday life in the replacement heifer program
- Understand how to use the automated feeder program as a diagnostic tool for calf health
- Learn to correctly administer intramuscular, subcutaneous, and intravenous shots following Beef Quality Assurance Standards
- Learn to correctly apply paste dehorner
- Learn proper livestock handling/restraining techniques
- Become proficient in the maintenance and cleaning of automated feeders
- Become proficient in the reading, recording, and entering of herd health records via DairyComp305
Application Date: Summer (3 month) session applications due by December 1st. All other time periods have rolling acceptance with 3 months and 6 months (+) internship lengths available.