CentralStar leverages cutting-edge science to develop and commercialize new management tools for dairy and beef producers. Key among these have been diagnostics for a variety of dairy-industry diseases and physiologic status markers including mastitis and pregnancy. You'll join the team as a laboratory intern helping to discover and validate new diagnostic tests utilizing some of the latest molecular and immunological techniques and technologies. The Dairy Herd Information (DHI) system has been in place for over 100 years, but now even more value can be drawn from routinely collected samples to improve animal health and herd management. You'll have a chance to collaborate with researchers, veterinarians and producers as samples are collected and studies are carried out.
Training and experience will be provided on:
- Numerous common laboratory procedures and equipment;
- Molecular genetic techniques, sequence interrogation and assay design;
- Immunological techniques and Enzyme Linked ImmonoSorbent Assay (-ELISA) design;
- Sample collection methodologies, including venipuncture;
- Laboratory software and data-management techniques; and
- Data Analysis and presentation